Carbon monoxide; The silent killer

Would you know if your home’s furnace, water heater or other gas fired appliance was leaking deadly carbon monoxide into your home? Unless your home is equipped with working carbon monoxide alarms, you may not be aware of this dangerous and potentially deadly situation until it’s too late. Carbon monoxide is odorless, invisible and can cause death within minutes when emitted in high concentrations. Every year many people are sickened and even killed by inhaling these deadly fumes.
There are many sources within a home that can generate carbon monoxide fumes, including a gas fired or wood burning fireplace. Improperly vented appliances and chimneys are a leading cause of carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as defective gas appliances, to include furnaces that have not been properly maintained and cleaned. Even a partially plugged heat exchanger within a furnace can cause deadly CO fumes to back out of the furnace and into the air within your home.
It is a good idea to install at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home and test it annually to insure it is working. You should also have any gas fired appliances within your home inspected and serviced every year by a qualified heating contractor. And don’t forget that fireplace….you need to make sure it is venting properly.
Every year there are reports of individuals or entire families in the Colorado Springs area that have been victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. Don’t be one of them.

Comments are closed.